Thursday 25 June 2009

Contrary

I have a strange aversion to some mainstream bits of popular culture. I find it hard to explain exactly why.

But you may notice:

I don't acknowledge the existence of that 1960's band whose name has something to do with Entomology. You know the one. I believe they were immensely popular way back in the day. In my own particular revisionist version of history they simply don't exist. Never did. Don't mention them to me. You'll just get a blank quizzical look.

I don't wear jeans. Well, not blue denim ones anyway. Black? Ok. Grey? Possibly. I even had a pair of blue-ish jeans once (but not made of denim)
I do have a blue-denim jacket too. But not an actual every-day pair of blue denim jeans.
I haven't worn such things since I was about 12 and I see no reason to change.*
I don't mind other people wearing them. But it's just_not_me. Ok.

Similarly, I tend to avoid products from Ford, Microsoft, Nestle, Sony & Tesco. **

Why?

It could be that I'm just a contrary b*strd.



* I think that once, I had to borrow a pair of jeans in order to do some hefty, dirty work. But that doesn't count does it?
** Some of these are for real rational reasons & some irrational.

3 comments:

  1. Gav never wore jeans in the whole time I knew him, until I decided to buy some for him. He made me go without chocolate for a week, because he worried about the money it would cost me, but he looks really good in them!

    I hold the view that when something's gone mainstream, there's often - though not ALWAYS - a reason for it. In the case of jeans, they're hardwearing and flattering, and because they've been around forever there's a huge amount of variety.

    We all boycott certain things though, for rational or irrational reasons.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't use electricity on my face. So no electric toothbrush and no electric razor.

    Yoko Ono though? Great!

    ReplyDelete
  3. The thing about the BEATLES is that they were a cultural atom bomb ... they may have been more talented bands around than the BEATLES, but the thing about the BEATLES was that they came at the right time and in the right place. So I don't think you can ignore the BEATLES. The BEATLES are part of our history, the BEATLES are.

    I'm assuming you are talking about the BEATLES.

    ReplyDelete