Thursday 16 July 2009

My Favourite

I know I'm a geek.
How do I know?
I have come to an ever-increasingly-solid understanding of the fact. I'm dead certain.

Yesterday, at work, I revealed another facet of my geekiness. I have a favourite isotope! (This isn't a necessary qualification for geekhood; but I think it seals the deal beyond any reasonable doubt.) So, which one? Carbon 14? Nope! Don't give me any of that Carbon 14 nonsense! Deuterium (Hydrogen 2)? Nope. Not Tritium either (Hydrogen 3). And it's not Uranium 235 or 238. No, no, no. It's Strontium 90.

Why? Hmmm. That's a more difficult question. But here are some supporting reasons...
  • It's a radio-isotope. (Did you think I'd want a stable one? - It emits Beta radiation)
  • It has a reasonable half-life of around 28 years. Not too long, not too short.
  • It's a product of nuclear fission of Uranium - which is kind of funky.
  • Chemically, it's a Group II element - similar in behaviour to Calcium.
  • And it sounds good, to say out loud. (It would make a half-decent expletive - in some circles, I'm sure!)

And how did they react at work? Strangely, they were impressed. (Not much, but a tiny bit impressed.) I think they must be getting to know me now...

2 comments:

  1. Of course, the real clincher is that it inspired the name of Strontium Dog (2000AD's story about mutant bounty hunter Johnny Alpha). He had a big snecking gun, alpha-wave eyes and went round beating the crap out of naughty mutants.

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Strontium_Dog

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oo-er! I'd never heard of Strontium Dog! Well, this intermenet thing certainly is an education sometimes.

    ReplyDelete